MORTAR is a resource hub for urban entrepreneurs across Cincinnati. We exist to invest in the people and solutions that will change our city; encouraging these empowered entrepreneurs to use their imaginations and creativity to not simply earn money, but to also make a difference in their communities.
ALL of the sections must be completed. If you aren’t sure about an answer, please just put your best guess. There is not a save function on the form, so it is suggested that you complete the form in one sitting without exiting this page. OR another option is to type answers into an external document (like Microsoft Word) and then come back here to copy and paste text into this form so that you will not lose your work.
We will be reviewing applications and selecting ideas that we believe are the most likely to succeed. We want all of our students to be able to take the lessons that they’ve learned from our program and plant their businesses in their own neighborhoods, making a difference for their community’s entrepreneurial ecosystem. If selected for the entrepreneurship course, your attendance at each class session is MANDATORY.
This course includes:
– Culturally competent curriculum and materials.
– Cohort model for driven entrepreneurs to support each other.
– Access to on-site legal support provided by UC Law.
– One-on-one mentorship supplied by SCORE to provide guidance throughout the course.
– Opportunity to pitch your idea in front of potential investors, community leaders and customers.
– Ongoing support system provided by MORTAR and partner organizations.
– Business support and brand development strategies that continue even after graduation.
Thanks to our partnerships & funders, we’ve been able to keep the tuition costs for the course down to ONLY $295 for the entire 14 weeks, and the 18-month Alumni Program at no charge for qualified participants! Payment plans are available if you’re unable to pay the entire balance at once.
IN 2019, THE MORTAR ENTREPRENEURSHIP ACADEMY WILL TENTATIVELY BE HOLDING CLASSES IN MARCH AND AUGUST. THOUGH WE ARE ALWAYS ACCEPTING APPLICATIONS, THOSE RECEIVED AFTER THE PLACEMENT FOR EACH COURSE DEADLINE WILL BE CONSIDERED FOR THE NEXT COURSE SESSION.
Applications can be submitted via this form on our website or if you’d like to fill it out by hand, please print it out and mail to:
1329 Vine St.
Cincinnati, OH 45202
MORTAR would like to congratulate you for taking this first step of completing this application! Because we want to make sure that we’re able to offer personalized attention to each participant, we limit each cohort to about 15 members. With that being said, we’ll do all that we can to get you through the process quickly & painlessly.
After receiving your completed application, here’s what you can expect from our process:
1. The next step is for us to review your submitted applications, focusing on the uniqueness of your business and overall viability (this is why it’s really important to be thorough on the application).
2. If you’re selected to move on, we will send you two essay questions to answer. These questions help us determine your abilities to start or grow your business and overall readiness for the Entrepreneurship Academy.
3. If you’re selected to move on, the final step is to come in for an in-person interview with a combination of our MORTAR staff, alumni, program facilitators & MORTAR Board members.
Selected participants will be notified if they’ve made it into the next class (if you aren’t selected for THIS class, you may be placed on the waiting list for the next class). If you ARE selected for the next class, you will be asked to pay a non-refundable $50 deposit to hold your spot for the class. Before the first class session, you will be required to pay your remaining balance OR submit a payment plan for the remaining balance.
YOUR ATTENDANCE IS MANDATORY. If you miss more than three classes, you will not be permitted graduate or participate in the Pitch Night festivities. If there are barriers prohibiting you from holding up your end of this arrangement (example: finances, transportation), please let us know and we will see what can be done to accommodate your needs.